By Onyeanya Immaculata
The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), has suspended its planned nationwide strike following the intervention of Vice President Kashim Shettima.
The strike, which was scheduled to begin on Monday, was called off after the Vice President appealed for more time to address the doctors’ demands and intervened in resolving some outstanding issues.
Confirming the development, NARD National President, Dr Mohammad Suleiman, said the association’s National Executive Council (NEC) unanimously agreed to suspend the strike in recognition of the Presidency’s intervention.
“Following his intervention, the National Executive Council convened and unanimously resolved to respect the President’s efforts and halt the strike action,” Suleiman said, adding that further details would be communicated soon.
He explained that the Vice President engaged directly with NARD leadership and issued directives that helped resolve several pending matters, while discussions continue on other demands. A detailed communiqué is expected in the coming days.
Also speaking in Lagos, the President of the Association of Resident Doctors at the Federal Medical Centre, Ebute Metta, Dr Victor Oloregbulem, said the strike was suspended in the interest of Nigerians and after consultations with key stakeholders.
Oloregbulem disclosed that the suspension would last for two weeks to allow the Federal Government time to implement agreed resolutions, noting that the association had recorded some significant gains, though not all had been fully implemented.
The development paves the way for continued negotiations and averts an immediate disruption of healthcare services nationwide.