By Adenike Lawal
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has disclosed that the newly renovated Bola Ahmed Tinubu International Conference Centre in Abuja is fully booked for events until 2027.
Wike made the revelation on Thursday during the commissioning of the Kugbo Bus Terminal, noting that the N39 billion upgraded facility has quickly become one of the most sought-after venues in the country.
He said the growing demand contradicts the criticism that followed its unveiling earlier this month.
Formerly known as the International Conference Centre, the venue was renamed after President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and officially commissioned on June 10, 2025, as part of activities marking Tinubu’s second year in office.
Despite public backlash over the cost and timing of the project, Wike maintained that the facility has proven to be a success.
He cited a recent request from the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives to use the centre for the ongoing Constitutional Amendment retreat but said all dates were already taken.
He added that adjustments could only be made if the required fees were paid.
“You know, Nigerians love good things but often pretend otherwise,” Wike said. “That Conference Centre is already booked up until 2027. There’s not a single day free. I saw a request from the Deputy Speaker, but there’s simply no space. We may adjust if he pays early enough. Nothing is free, not even for the National Assembly.”
Wike’s remarks highlight the facility’s rising popularity and the administration’s emphasis on self-sustaining public infrastructure despite political controversy.