Connect with us

Education

ASUU Issues FG 21-day Strike Notice

Published

on

The Academic Staff Union of Universities has informed the Federal Government of its plans to embark on a nationwide strike by placing the government on a 21-day notice, The PUNCH reports.

Sources within the National Executive Council of ASUU confirmed the development to our correspondent in Abuja on Monday.

The notice was issued at the end of the NEC meeting, which was held at the University of Ibadan, and a copy is expected to be transmitted to the Federal Ministries of Labour and Education.

“It is not an ultimatum but a strike notice. We are giving them 21 days’ notice, after which we shall embark on strike.

“Our aim for putting out the notice is that it is a requirement under labour laws so we are trying to ensure that all our actions are done according to the law,” the source said.

It would be recalled that ASUU had threatened to embark on strike over the non-implementation of agreements reached with the federal government.

On June 26, the Minister of Education, Prof. Tahir Mamman, invited the union to a meeting to deliberate on the lingering issues affecting universities and to avert the planned strike.

The national president of ASUU, Prof. Emmanuel Osodeke who spoke on the outcome of the meeting said the agreements reached with the Federal Government had not been implemented.

“At the meeting called by the Minister of Education, we agreed that after two weeks, we will meet to see the progress the government has made.

“We will also see what we will do next if the government fail to implement the agreements reached.”

The ASUU president said some of the demands included the non-implementation of the 2009 re-negotiated agreements.

He said the agreements had lingered for over six years, and the government had yet to implement them.

Osodeke said the academic allowances due to their members had also accumulated for over six years, and nothing had been done about it.

On the issue of the revitalisation fund, he said they agreed on the Needs Assessment Report to raise N200 billion yearly for five years.

“Since 2013, only one has been paid. We need revitalisation funds to upgrade our universities to standard so that we can have students and lecturers from outside the country,” he said.

Oshodeke added that the government had yet to stop the proliferation of universities, adding that many new universities were being approved without funds to run them.

Education

Oyelami Named Acting CEO of National Mathematical Centre

Published

on

By

By Omoniyi David

The Federal Government has appointed Professor Oyelami as Acting Chief Executive Officer of the National Mathematical Centre with immediate effect.

The appointment was announced in a statement by the centre’s Controller of Information and Public Relations, Onyekachi Njoku. He said the decision followed the elevation of the former CEO, Promise Mebine, as Vice-Chancellor of the Federal University Otuoke.

Njoku disclosed that the approval was conveyed in a letter signed by Rakiya Ilyasu, Director of University Education at the Federal Ministry of Education.

Professor Oyelami, a mathematician who joined the centre over two decades ago from Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, previously served as Coordinator of the Mathematics and Theoretical Physics programmes and as Deputy Director/Academic Planning Coordinator.

An alumnus of the University of Jos and Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, he holds a Second-Class Upper degree, MSc and PhD in Mathematics and has published widely in local and international journals.

The centre said his appointment would strengthen its mandate to promote research, innovation and capacity building in mathematical sciences.

Continue Reading

Abuja Reports

UniAbuja Council Denies NELFUND Loan Diversion Claim

Published

on

By

By Patrick Idowu

The Governing Council of the University of Abuja has refuted allegations that the institution diverted funds provided by the Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), for its students.

In a statement issued on Saturday, the council, chaired by Senator Olanrewaju Tejuoso, said no NELFUND money was diverted, misappropriated or unlawfully withheld by the university or any of its officials.

The denial comes a day after NELFUND also dismissed the allegation and cleared the university of wrongdoing.

The statement, signed by the Acting Registrar and Secretary to the Governing Council, Malam Sambo Mohammed, said the university operates within established financial regulations and maintains strict accountability in managing intervention funds.

The council urged the public to disregard what it described as a misleading media report, while reaffirming confidence in the university’s management led by Vice-Chancellor, Prof. Hakeem Babatunde Fawehinmi.

Continue Reading

Education

JAMB Warns Candidates Against Infractions in 2026 UTME Registration

Published

on

By

By Onyeanya Ebere Immaculata

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has warned that candidates who violate registration rules or breach the attestation signed during the ongoing 2026 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), registration will face severe sanctions.

JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, issued the warning on Monday as the registration entered its third week.

He said offenders could be barred from sitting for the UTME for up to three years, adding that the names of defaulters may be published in national newspapers and forwarded to other public examination bodies.

Oloyede also disclosed that candidates involved in serious offences could be handed over to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC), or the Police for prosecution.

JAMB said the measures are aimed at protecting the integrity of the examination process and ensuring fairness for all candidates.

Continue Reading

Trending

radyoenerji.com.tr1winSweet bonanzabahis siteleriiptv satın algrandpashabet girişgrandpashabetJojobetkralbetteosbetteosbetjojobetgrandpashabetbahiscomkralbethttps://ericasuter.com/padişahbetbahsinebetpuanmatadorbetmatadorbetperabetcasino sitelerigoldenbahisroyalbetdeneme bonusu veren sitelerdeneme bonusu veren sitelerdeneme bonusubahiscasinocasibomcasibompusulabetgrandpashabet girişmarsbahis güncel girişmatbet güncel girişsekabet girişkavbetimajbet girişbetebetdeneme bonusubahiscasinojojobet girişbahiscasinojojobet girişholiganbet girişamgbahisbahiscasinojojobet girişdeneme bonusu veren sitelerbetplay girişgrandpashabetmarsbahismatbetmatbetsekabetimajbetvdcasinograndpashabetjojobetholiganbetvdcasinoparobetbetixirsekabetmatbetcasinoroyal girişpalacebet girişteosbet girişbetplay girişbahiscasino girişromabet girişbetpuansonbahis girişimajbetkralbetimajbetslotraSekabetSekabetganobetjojobet girişgüvenilir bahis sitelerimarsbahismarsbahis girişpusulabetdddslotbarfffultrabetsahabetmercurecasinocasinomilyon girişcasinowon girişbetplaysonbahisbetplay girişcasinomilyonwbahis girişcasinowoncasinowon girişbetplaytambet girişwbahissonbahis giriştambetnesinecasinosonbahisCasibomligobetonwinBetorderBetorder girişCasibomJojobetgrandpashabet girişmeritkingpusulabet girişjojobetjojobet girişCasibomJojobetHoliganbetOnwinroyalbeteros mac tvpokerklasdeneme bonusudeneme bonusuCasibomcasibomholiganbet